History

The Land for St Teresa’s was purchased in 1926 for £600! At the time , the Catholic Community of North Bristol was in the care of the Friars Minor of St. Bonaventure’s Bishopston. A Presbytery and temporary church were built in 1927 and St Teresa of Lisieux, who was canonised in 1925, was chosen as patron, one of the first parishes in the world to claim the name of the ‘Little Flower’. After the Second World War, the population of North Bristol had grown to such an extent that it was deemed necessary to build a bigger Church. Two properties were bought next to the Presbytery and the site was developed for a new Roman Basilica style Church to be built. The Church was completed in 1961. The interior has seen different changes over the years, but now is close to its original design. The Parish Priests of St. Teresa’s: 1925 – 1927 Fr. John Hayes 1927 – 1941 Fr. Joseph Renehan 1941 – 1945 Fr. James Rea 1945 – 1971 Fr. Denis Lucey 1971 – 1985 Fr. Timothy Barry 1985 – 1987 Mgr. McMillan 1987 – 1999 Fr. Patrick O’Donovan 1999 – 2004 Fr. John Blacker 2004 – 2017 Fr. Tom Finnegan 2017 – Present Fr. James Finan